Re: Sound Devices 744T

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 744T
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:33:36 -0500
From: Rob Danielson <>

> Operation is a joy, seriously.  Yes, there are many menu settings
> that one should run through and become familiar with initially but
> all can be set and are remembered with power-up. Many menu shortcuts
> too. The LED display covers a huge range, has several response
> options and can be quickly turned off.  I've worked at night in the
> woods and I didn't need a flashlight at all. The LCD menu display is
> large and clear-- I struggle with most LCD displays. I still can't
> believe how small the 744T is, yet, the only controls that aren't
> easy to reach in my hip pack are the CF card (in the back) and the
> multi-function controller (side).  I'll probably modify my pouch to
> access the later knob someday.  Big, lighted, "RECORD," and "STOP"
> buttons. Many configurations for headphone monitoring including m-s
> and confidence.

I would expect it would be nice compared to the walkman MD's. I am
comparing from experience with the Portadisc. Which is also a joy to
use. I'm also only interested in the 722, but they both seem to function
essentially the same.

I noted there was only one user storage of your settings, and 4 factory
combination settings on the 722. I use three stored custom setups on the
Portadisc, though it's so easy to setup it's hardly necessary. I'm
changing between mics, or such like and have to change the setups. I
would be doing the same if I was using a 722.

The menu system sounded like it was going to annoy me. Without enough
preset setups to store I'd have to be running through the menu's
frequently. And they appear to be very long.

Speaking of the one user preset, how much of the settings does it store?
Headphone settings, for instance? The headphone volume being stuck off
on the side is a flaw to my mind.

The fact all that menu system seems to run through a single control is
going to slow things I'd think. Lots of steps to get to items. With the
Portadisc the equivalent controls are on several different buttons. So
menus don't have to be so deep.

The location of the main menu control on the side must be a problem in a
case. Have you seen the portabrace case for the recorder? With controls
and things that you need to access fairly often on four sides I'd like
to know how good that case is.

Can you turn off all lights? Even a single led attracts insects. And
what color is the LCD backlight? The Portadisc's LCD backlight is bug
light yellow so it attracts few insects.

The battery does not appear to have any protection. Does it at least
have a secure lock to keep it on as long as the plastic of the battery
does not fail? How robust are the mounts?

> The 744T's 2 channel mic pre has 70dB gain-- about 5dB more than the
> MP-2. I've only used a Lunatec V3 a few times, but I agree with
> reports that the 744's sound is similar, maybe more transparent. My
> MP-2 mic pre produces a "rounder" sound- especially below 250Hz. The
> 744's pre brings out spatial depth and detail in my MKH 30/40 M-S
> pair that I've _never_ heard through my MP-2.  I hope SD comes out
> with a matching 2 channel mic pre add-on unit.  Hard to think I'd
> leave my MP-2 at home, but I would.

This sort of thing I expected given Sound Devices reputation. And why
it's top on my list if MD goes away with no other optical drive
replacement. Sounds like they have gone away from the transformer input.
I like the sound from transformer inputs, not so cold and clinical.

> Sound Devices just completed a significant upgrade of the FireWire
> code for downloading files to PC and Mac. It works flawlessly when
> downloading to my 1GHz Tibook's internal FireWire connector (Mac
> OSX10.3.4), but its currently not working when I place my 744T at the
> end of the FW chain. Might just be my hardware or my OS-- they're
> just starting to look into this. To the Int HD on my Mac, I've been
> getting a FW transfer rate of about 4mbs.  Another FW update is
> planned that will allow files to be recorded on an external FW drive
> for additional space or back-up.

In the 722 manual it states (in fine print in the back) that you cannot
download from the compact flash but only from the HD. Is that still so?

4mbs is not near hard disk transfer speed, at least what I get with
ultra SCSI, but not bad for firewire stuff.

> Another possible issue is recording through midnight. The 744 can
> have trouble starting a new folder at the date change and can stop
> recording. The work-around is to re set the clock to 8am so it can
> run for 16 hours. SD may fix this too.

That's a serious flaw. Someone was not thinking. I do a lot of recording
around midnight. And don't want it breaking the recording at midnight
either. The correct solution as far as I'm concerned is you store the
files based on their start time. That's how I do it in my database and
in my file naming.

It's always amazing how equipment will undergo a long development period
and then when it comes out lots of the simpleist and obvious things to
do in using it are not functioning properly. Unfortunately the designers
are no longer users. In this case it sounds like the users they had try
it were not nature recordists, no surprise there.

> My understanding is there are quite a few 744's on pre-order and its
> best to get a request into your dealer if you hope to get one over
> the next few months. They say the first 722's will start rolling out
> within two weeks with many pre orders to meet.  Rob D.

I don't have to worry about this, the pipeline will be long filled, and
maybe even better models out by the time my Portadisc wears out, if it
wears out.