Re: Shure 183 update

Subject: Re: Shure 183 update
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:42:10 -0000
There is a few old threads on this somewhere and not complete
agreement on the best method between our members here.

I prefer the stereo image without any barrier between the mics.  Set
the spacing for the width you desire.

A partial and brief summary shows:

The advantages being:
1. Each mic sees the entire dish and not just half a dish.
2. The stereo image is more pronounced for all in focus targets.
3. Phase reversal of one channel and summation gives a noise
reduction technique that is effective.
4. You have new tweaking available to you for more situations.

The disadvantage being:
1. The image is flipped for in vs out of focus targets. This is a
problem when a caller flys across in front of you but seldom on
stationary targets.
2. There may be a hole in the middle if the spacing is to wide.
3. Off focus targets have less depth in the stereo field unless you
put a partial barrier behind the mics for the direct image that does
not effect the reflected image.
4. You have new tweaking to do besides adjusting just in and out you
now pay attention to distance between the mics as well.

Rich

--- In  "John Hartog"