Re: Shure 183 update

Subject: Re: Shure 183 update
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:01:34 -0000
I have been using my Shure183s in a 21" Telinga dish - and I
Like it.  The only other mic I have tried in the dish is a Sony
ECM-MS907, and the 183s are a great improvement over that.
For stereo effect I separated them with a 2" disc of tin.  I figured
they should be mounted close together as possible, and the top
to a soup can was the thinnest rigid material I found around the
house. I posted a snippet a while ago that I recorded with this
setup.
<
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/files/041121a.m
p3>
 If anyone can share their ideas for mounting stereo183s in a
dish, that would be great.
So far, my favorite way to use the 183s is tree mounted.  Using a
consumer minidisc - how light can you get.  I used them this way
last weekend. The spot I wanted to record was a four mile hike in
and the trail was in bad shape, but the heaviest thing I was
hauling was my waterlogged boots.  All you really need for this
method is a strap to hold them to a tree.  I made windscreens by
stitching fake fur to wire-mesh kitchen strainers.
JH

--- In  "Rich Peet"
<> wrote:

> I will let you know as I have some due to be delivered which I
will
> be mounting in the 32" dish.  It looks like it will be a great dish
> microphone.
>
> Rich
>

> > Seems like they should work well in a  dish. I've got them
mounted
> on
> > the outside of enclosed cup headphones, binaural ~10". I
played
> with
> > spacing for a while and found there are at least 3 different,
> > interesting sweetspots for sources at greater distance. I'm
running
> > the record level settings about 6 units lower than usual.  Rob
D.