Re: Marantz PMD 670 and Maycom MicTube?

Subject: Re: Marantz PMD 670 and Maycom MicTube?
From: "birderjuke" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:10:07 -0000
Thank you, oryoki.  Your contributions to this list are always=20
informative.

I already have a PMD 670 and Sennheiser ME67 with K6 power module.=20
Back in June, you wrote:  "If you place your mic in a floating mount
or encase it in a wind cover, you will need to add a section of cable
between the MicTube and the back of the microphone."  Is that because
the combined length of the mic, power module, and MicTube would be
awkward, or perhaps because commercially available mounts and wind
covers cannot accommodate this combination?  Can the MicTube connect
directly to the power module?

Thank you.

Julian

--- In  "oryoki2000" <>
wrote:

> "birderjuke" wrote:
> > Could one connect the Maycom MicTube to the line in of a
> > Marantz PMD 670, and thus greatly improve the s/n ratio
>
> Yes.  The MicTube is a small pre-amp with its own battery power.
It's
> roughly the same size as the Sennheiser K6 power module.
>
> According to Marantz, the PMD670 S/N ratio is rated at only -65dB
for
> the mic input.  The line-in S/N is -86dB, a considerable
improvement.
>  The Maycom MicTube lets you attach your mic to the line-in port to
> take advantage of this improvement.  The MicTube's built-in pre-amp
> S/N is -85dB, so it's well matched to the PMD670.=20
>
> Maycom's US distributor does not list the MicTube yet.  I found it
> today at a British website, www.solidstatesound.co.uk, for 125
pounds,
> or ~$240 US.
>
> A cost-effective alternative is to purchase a PMD670 modified by
Doug