Re: Rode NT-4 homemade shockmount and zeppelin

Subject: Re: Rode NT-4 homemade shockmount and zeppelin
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:55:10 -0600
Dan and Jeremiah--

One could cut away more of the 3" pipe to be safe. This designs takes
a hack saw and power drill with 2" door knob bit. I did a "A/B" test
with good headphones: one NT-4 in the open and the other in the 3"
tube as pictured.  I couldn't detect any reinforced tones by ear and
I would have noticed any tuning through the semester with 22 units
out. I like to use #64 rubber bands and  tension with the 3" stretch
is about right. The bands may be a bit overloaded but I prefer a
loose suspension over a tighter one. The NT-4 is too heavy to set up
resonance in the suspension. 4" PVC pipe would require heavier rubber
bands or the light weight bungy cord and I don't have as much luck
with those.

I'm always looking for ways to improve micing mobility. If any one
has a favorite, inexpensive, shock-mount design for condenser mics,
please share it! Rob D.

  = = =

--
Rob Danielson