Re: Re: Crackly preamp!

Subject: Re: Re: Crackly preamp!
From: Terry King <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:42:37 +0100
> >> But recently I seem to have been getting a lot of crackly noise. As
> far as I
>know I dont think I have changed anything, but we did change some settings
>for volume  control to record night flight calls. So Played around with
>this control but I still get lot of noise. So any suggestion how can I
>solve this problem?

What we hear as a 'crack' is a very sharp wave form, often from a momentary=

wiring condition, but possibly from other factors in the electronics
itself.  Run your setup with real time monitoring turned on. Get the wiring=

and equipment in a very stable physical layout.  Start recording /
monitoring.  Do you still have constant cracks??  If not, carefully move
each section of the cabling and connectors as separately as possible,
listening for the culprit.  Move the playback volume control up and down a=

bit. If this causes cracks, it's likely that the control itself is 'dirty'=

and not making consistent contact.  If it's noisy, try unplugging and
manually turning the control from end to end of it's travel about 20 times,=

and then retry.  While monitoring, try to find a place in the rotation that=

seems to stop cracking (you may have to readjust recording level).

It will be interesting to zoom in on a few cracks in Cooledit.  If the
crack (an almost vertical waveform) is followed by a big longer curving
wave form, that seems a lot like a noisy control, or so other source of DC=

on the signal.

Cooledit gives you your own oscilloscope, which is the best troubleshooting=

aid....

Let us know what you find...

Regards, Terry King  ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage, Tunisia