Re: headphones for fieldrecording and editing

Subject: Re: headphones for fieldrecording and editing
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:11:52 -0500
On 03 Aug, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Bret wrote:

> I answered my question, yes the sennheiser hd280 fold...

Yes, but not quite as compactly as the Sony's, nor do they come
with the leatherette pouch.

> Has anyone here used the Etymotics?

Yes, have both the hd280 and the Ety's 'S' model, with
the generic earpieces (not custom molds).  The isolation
is better than the over ears, and shooting muffs over top
go a notch better.  But the stiff cables can transmit an
annoying amount of interference, and it's a lot more
of a shock when you forget to unplug before walking away.

There a place for both.  Since the community radio studio
doesn't have very good isolation, I use the Ety's  to get
loud bands dialed in.  And they double as protection
when I have to walk out among the drums and Marshall
halfstacks.  one trick I use to check relative balance is
to turn down the board phone feed until I can barely
hear the mix, and I hear if any important voices disappear.

And I'll often pop the hd280's on over the Ety's to check
the independent receiver for the actual air mix.  All of
this is to make sure there's a viable signal going out;
then I do the fine tweaking.  Oh, and I'll offer the hd280s
to someone else for a listen, but not the Ety's.

Although I've never used the cheaper Ety's, I'm guessing
they're pretty good with low-power feeds and they've
probably improved the cable noise.  And I've heard you
can make the expensive equivalent by adding eq network
between the plugs.  See headwize site.

-- Mike