Re: headphones for fieldrecording and editing

Subject: Re: headphones for fieldrecording and editing
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:54:25 -0500
Martyn Stewart wrote:

> I recommend the Sony MDR-7506

I had a pair of MDR-7506's that seemed
indestructable until I left them sitting
out at home and left a somewhat miffed dog
home by herself.  She ate all the parts that
touched my skin ... headband and earpads.
Sony pro parts (Kansas City) came up with
replacements for 'em quick and cheap for ear
pads, dear for headband+wire (a reason to get
the MDR-7506 rather than the equivalent consumer
model).  Were still going strong when they
were stolen out of my car while loading
gear into the radio studio.

I replaced the Sony's with Senn HD-280 pro
and they sound better and fit around the
ears rather than flat against them so they're
more comfortable and not sweat-inducing.  And
so far they're holding up under daily use
and the coil cord is very non-Sennheiser-ish;
in fact it's rugged-equivalent to the Sony.
And, they don't overhype the bass and highs,
which may be good or bad depending on your needs.

-- Mike