Re: Edmund Parabolic Reflectors

Subject: Re: Edmund Parabolic Reflectors
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:43:05 -0500
Walter Knapp wrote:

> Back in the plumbing section of a well equipped hardware store you can
> also find all sorts of washers and seals, some of which will work well
> for such a small size difference. Look particularly in the stuff for
> sink drains and such like.

Now I've just got this hare-brained (hair brained?) idea to enlarge
the hole a bit so that I can insert the 10x lens of my Canon S1-IS,
and make a non-obtrusive spider mount for a small mic capsule
or two at the parabola focus.  That way I can photograph what I'm
hearing.

I'll also have to find some sound-deadening goo to put on the dish,
maybe autoparts store rather than plumbing department.  Here's
my "nature" recording of the unmodified, unmounted, untreated dish:

http://www.advancenet.net/~feldman/24inch_Al_reflector.mp3

-- Mike