Re: Edmund Parabolic Reflectors

Subject: Re: Edmund Parabolic Reflectors
From: Gregory Kunkel <>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
Dave
  Certainly quality microphones will give improved results in most
cases. Whether the expense is worth it is up to you. In my experience
 any true paraboloid with the microphone at the focal point is
greatly superior to "almost paraboloids" including bowls, umbrellas
etc. The Edmund Scientific parabolic mirror is the only one that I
have bought and I have been using it for almost ten years. I use the
18 inch version which seems to capture the frequencies of the birds I
record quite well. Besides the Condenser Mic (RS 270-092) that I
mention on the web page I have used the stereo Clip-on Microphone (RS
33-3028) and Panasonic WM-61B capsules arranged as a stereo pair. The
all give equivalent results.

My first "parabola" was an unmodified squirrel baffle with a cheap
dynamic mic at the focus. Since then I have constructed a die/mold
for a 20 inch parabola and have used it to create parabolas from
fibre glass, plexiglass, and plastic squirrel baffles that were
orginally almost true paraboloids.

For light travel I usually use one of my homemade parabolas. But I
still like the Edmund when mobility is not a problem. It is slightly
heavier and "gongs" when bushwacking.

                Greg Kunkel

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3D3053875&bhcd2=3D1091377378