Re: MD or solid state with a decent speaker?

Subject: Re: MD or solid state with a decent speaker?
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:19:32 -0000
I held off making my opionion until there was a response that
instructed others how to boom with the best.
I suspect you know my response to your question and I will now go
silent on this thread for what I perceive as in the best interests of
the group.

Rich Peet

--- In  Charles Bragg
<> wrote:
> At 04:01 PM 6/8/2004 +0000, Rich Peet wrote:
>
> >Please consider all playback as not responsible.
>
>         What about the sounds of corn growing?
>
>         But, assuming you are talking about playback to sentient
beings, sure there are times and places where playback might do harm,
but unless you do your walking several inches above the ground, you
just killed several life forms by getting into position to *record*.
Not to mention that all the food you have ever eaten could have gone
to starving third world children, and your entire life savings could
have gone to treat AIDS victims.
>         Please. If we want to discuss what 'responsible playback'
is then fine, but to say all playback is not responsible is
hyperbolic (as opposed to parabolic).

> >Past activity by photographers and others using
> >playback have gotten in my way.  Just say no to playback.
>
>         A strange non-sequitur. Is "all playback ... not
responsible" because some people's reactions to it sometimes prevents
you from being able to record? Whose ox are we talking about here?

>         Now, let's start the discussion by asking if my recording
of a midnight mockingbird in late June can be played back to the same
bird in an experiment to find out if it causes this bird to either
shut up or go somewhere else (or possibly, and this is why I
hesitate, make him sing longer and louder). At this time of year the
singing birds are all bachelor males who are just practicing for the
next mating season. I say no harm will come to them, or the other
area birds, by playback. What say you?