Re: Pitch shifting

Subject: Re: Pitch shifting
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:44:17 +0200
Hi Lang,
         some years ago I made a software to shift sounds up and down while=

maintaining the original length and modulation shapes. Shifting down works=

very well, without unwanted artifacts (I use it to make audible ultrasounds=

recorded at high sampling rates); on the contrary shifting up introduces
some thin clicks that are small discontinuities in the waveform where
processed frames are joined together. I use it for fin whales. Of course
you also loose a top bandwidth of the same width of the shift up.

The software is very rough, it works on 16 bit mono wav files and I never
had the time to make it user friendly and real-time.
If you like to try it on your recordings I could send you the executable.
If other are interested I could spend some of my holiday time to make it
more appealing, and possibly realtime.

Gianni

At 22.07 16/06/2004, you wrote:
>The folks in the Bioacoustics division of the Cornell Laboratory of
>Ornithology could definitely give you some suggestions. They have worked
>with infrasonic sounds made by elephants and other creatures and I hear th=
ey
>are developing some kind of detector for infrasounds.
>
>Lang
>
>I wish to pitch shift up in freq 20 to 100 times.
>My editor, Audition, can not do it well at these extremes.
>
>If I record at a low sample rate and then play it back at a high
>sample rate then it sounds good but the time is compressed severly.
>
>Basically I want to listen to my recordings for what was captured
>below 20 cycles.  I can record down to .1
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this done?
>
>Rich Peet
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>

>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links
>To visit your group on the web, go to:

><=3DUnsubscribe=
>

>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel        +39-0382-507874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921