Re: Portadisc

Subject: Re: Portadisc
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:51:03 -0400
From: Paul Isaacs <>

> Of course HHB has HiMD high on the agenda. HiMD has still not yet hit the
> consumer market, although this is supposedly imminent and SONY have not
> released the fine details of the new specification to rainbow book licencees
> yet. So a professional HiMD is certainly not going to be available in 2004.
>
> I agree with you that this is an exciting step forward for HiMD provided it
> actually delivers what is says it will deliver.

It's sounding like the big trick will be to avoid all the copy
protection stuff and make a recorder for original recordists. The
consumer stuff is sounding too much like netMD. I hope that's not a
required part of HiMD.

I'm not at all unhappy with my Portadisc, but definitely interested in
the follow on. I'd be really happy if it was possible to upgrade a
Portadisc, to keep costs down, but I expect that's going to be too much
to ask. I don't expect I can wear out my Portadisc any time soon.

So, let us know as things move ahead. Meanwhile I'll be out recording
with the excellent recorder HHb have already provided.