Re: Portadisc

Subject: Re: Portadisc
From: Dave <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:12:55 -0700
So, Paul ...

How about that Hi-MD?

:)

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 03:13:16PM +0100, Paul Isaacs wrote:
> Portadisc is compatible with operating systems 98SE, 2000, XP, ME and also
> MAC OS.
> 'Unknown device' is most likely due to the fact that the USB2 chipset in the
> computer is not fully backward compatible with USB1 audio streaming although
> it should be. The usual solution is to use a USB hub between the computer
> and Portadisc
>
> regards
>
> Paul, HHB

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:24:23 -0400
From: Walter Knapp <>
Subject: Re: Wisconsin in September

From: "Rich Peet" <>

> You have a very good chance at getting the Gray Treefrog.
> The hardest part is figuring out the difference in call from the
> Copes.  It seems that many Herp people do not have the difference
> figured out right.  Even Lang (sorry, not a cheap shot)has an
> inadequate description on the MN tape for training the frog survey
> people.  And by my observation, the WI DNR frog site outright has it
> wrong.
> I hope I did not just dig a big hole for myself as you recall I am
> not the pro herper.

I'm certainly completely familiar with Copes. If not they are calling
out front right now for me to learn.

We have a hybrid, H. avivoca (Bird-voiced Treefrog) X H. chrysoscelis
(Cope's Gray TF). It's call we thought at first was of H. versicolor. It
took catching some and genetic studies to reveal the truth. The hybrid
is sterile, and in some sites may be as much as 10% of the population of
Gray looking treefrogs. At least by call frequency. And the call it
makes only occurs where both the two species are calling.

There's a clip of the hybrid on my gray treefrog page:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/docs/gray.tfrogs.html

This call seems to me quite similar to versicolor calls. Also fooled
some other herps folks here. We have concluded that there are no
versicolor in Georgia. I'd like to record some real versicolor.

Yes, the WI site's recordings could use help.

> I mentioned the southern section because I figured you were comming
> out of downtown Milwaukee and it is closer as I remember it.

By eyeballing the map they seemed about the same distance out of
downtown. Was just wondering if there was a lot of difference.

>>> And what about Horicon Marsh? I'm not a great fan of large cattail
>>> marshes down here as the frogs don't seem to care for them. But
>
> what's
>
>>> there? And is there much access?
>

> Horicon is a nice area in the fall but it is a drive from Milwaukee.
> For sound recording it has close highways on three sides and the best
> approach is from the east into the middle.  The auto tour route on
> the north has to much vehicle noise.  The only ways into the wet
> areas are by good condition roads.  This area of WI has no semi-
> roads.  Although they have large populations of Geese, this area is
> still a very agricultural developed area not wildlife area type.

I see. I got their maps from the website they maintain.

I don't see having the time to really go a long way north, where there
might be better territory. I expect I'll work on my usual, picking
things out of spots people have not noticed.

> All the wildlife areas (state and fed) are free if open. As well as
> state and federal forrest land in the north. State parks have a fee
> and I do not recall what a three day pass is.  For sound, the
> Natural, Scientific, and wildlife areas are better than the parks.
> Some areas like those anywhere near the whoopers in Neceedah are
> closed.  If you do want to go there request from the staff permission
> to use the "bunker" as it is the only close recording area for the
> whoopers.  It is not talked about much but does exsist.  Do not be
> afraid to ask how to pronounce the staff peoples names as there are
> some very difficult ...ski names in this area as well as in Horicon.
> I found it better to ask than to slaughter the names in this area of
> WI.

I did find their license page. They do list a parks license, looks like
per person. And a choice of daily or the annual one.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cs/nonrestypes.asp
I agree, state parks down here are not a lot of use either. Often closed
up at night too.

The license page was referenced by the Horicon marsh pages. Though I
suppose that could be hunting and fishing.

Sounds like getting near the whoopers is probably going to take longer
than I'll have. Especially as I probably can't predict accurately ahead
of time what time I'll have.