Re: Re: how high will a mic go?

Subject: Re: Re: how high will a mic go?
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:46:38 -0700
The B & K 4939 records out to 100kHz.
http://www.bksv.com/pdf/Bp1851.pdf. but the highest freq critter on
the planet is the blind Ganges dolphin (Plantanista gangetica); a
voice around 356kHz at last count. Freqs of this altitude have
typically, in the past, been recorded with what's called
instrumentation recorders (analog systems developed by Ampex for the
Navy). They record at 120 ips for those of us who still remember
those days and were terribly noisy and a large pain in the butt to
handle. That's how we recorded the tree cavitating at 70kHz a few
years back. The transducer was a B & K 4103 hydrophone placed in the
trunk of the tree which caught the tiny cells of the xylem and phloem
popping.

Bernie

--

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.