Re: Fostex v Marantz v HHB mini-review

Subject: Re: Fostex v Marantz v HHB mini-review
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:27:58 -0500
Vicki:

With regard to your point #2, the new recorders create a computer audio fil=
that can be at whatever bit rate and sample rate you choose. These are data
files that can be backed up to DVD-R or CD-R, just like you'd make copies o=
any other computer files.

I think you're confusing Audio Compact Disc with CD-R. They are two
different things. If you burn an Audio Compact Disc, then all soundfiles
must be 16-bit and 44.1 kHz. But we're talking about data CDs or data DVDs,
which can be used to back up any computer file.

Lang

Two questions come to mind for me, for recorders such as the Fostex FR-2
that use Compact Flash cards and mini hard-drives as the recording medium.

1. On long field trips lasting weeks or months, it would seem to be
essential to buy and carry a laptop computer for downloading sound.  Which
of course puts even more eggs into one basket, if somethings goes wrong wit=
the laptop.

2. With recordings made in hi resolution e.g. 24 bits and 192 kHz, how do
you actually save that high resolution?  Excuse my ignorance here too, but
does DVD record at higher resolution than CD?  And is the general idea that
you would buy a laptop that can burn DVDs?  Otherwise how do you actually
share and store sounds made at high resolution?

Vicki Powys
Australia

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,