Re: Fostex v Marantz v HHB mini-review

Subject: Re: Fostex v Marantz v HHB mini-review
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:55:51 -0800 (PST)
>             A throw-away comment from the depths of my ignorance of all
> these technical comparisons.
>
> A 2 gig card full of field recordings is not only a hell of a lot of file=
> for editing.  It is also a hell of a lot of "eggs in one basket"!

Something much on my mind; I will soon update my DIY section with a page
on the pros and cons of using MP3/HD/CF recorders for the kind of
recording I do, and this will be a key issue.

To wit:

While in Cuba for a six-week trip (we just returned last week), I had my
gear stolen. As it was I was crushed to lose a few hours of recordings
on MD... including, of course, one of those recordings that I thought
would be in the 'best ever' category... :(

But I was keenly aware of how I would have felt if *everything* I'd
recorded on the trip had been in that bag!

For people like me who can travel for weeks or months without a way to
easily back things up (though portable HDs spefically made to 'rip' CF
cards at least offer *some* option), this is a SERIOUS issue!  Theft
aside, the 'single point of failure' is just nerve wracking.

 best,
   aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org