Re: hiss reduction

Subject: Re: hiss reduction
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:06:54 -0800
JJ, you wrote,

>I am recording with a marantz pmd222  recording and a ME66
>Sennheiser microphone.
>With which software I can remove the noise without modifying the
>remainder of the registration??
>  I have tried with COOL EDIT 2 FOR (hiss reduction)
>but also changes the song.

This is the area of "restoration" software. I have quite a bit of
experience with it, and I hate it. It isn't possible to remove hiss
without affecting the rest of the recording. With a lot of time spent
in trial and error, it's often possible to make an acceptable
improvement.

The problem I have is that when I'm working with the restoration
software (DINR, Ionizer, Waves Restoration Suite) I'm paying
attention to removing the noise. In the process of getting
satisfaction with that, other values tend to slip away. When I listen
to my work the next day, I often wonder what I could have been
thinking, it sounds dead.

-Dan Dugan

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:53 2005
Message: 1