Re: Fostex FR-2 recorder now available

Subject: Re: Fostex FR-2 recorder now available
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:01:06 -0000
Rob Danielson wrote:

> So the FR-2 isn't ready to roll with something
> like this Hitachi 1/8" PCMCIA drive?

http://www.sncomputers.com/index.php/browse/009e604c071d6430a90c4a8077f2bc6=
9

This link points to a Toshiba 1.8 inch 5 GB drive. In fact, it's one
of the drives specifically recommended by Fostex for use with the
FR-2. I assume the drive has to be formatted before it can be used,
otherwise it's plug and play.

I was re-reading the FR-2 pages when I noticed a sidebar warning *not*
to use PCMCIA drives for 24/192 recording:
http://www.fostexdvd.net/fxdvd_route/docs/product/fr2/fr2_specs.htm

I wrote to a contact at Fostex about this, and received a quick reply
from their technical support department (on Sunday afternoon!).  They
confirmed that the current crop of PCMCIA drives is not fast enough to
keep up with the data stream of two channel 24/192 recording. Today's
PCMCIA drives are OK to use up to 24/96.=20

The tech wrote that a new Toshiba hard drive due to be released soon
would be capable of supporting 24/192 recording.  In the meantime,
fast Compactflash cards like the recommended Sandisk Ultra II are
required for 24/192 recording.

There's lots to loke about this new recorder.  I laughed at a post on
a tapers forum that said, "If my wife wasn't the one who receives the
UPS packages, I would have ordered an FR-2 already!"

--oryoki