Re: what's happening with HTML?

Subject: Re: what's happening with HTML?
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:05:05 +1000
I endorse Vicki Powys' views on keeping things simple with naturerecordists=
.

In just the last few days I have found that a number of naturerecordists
messages have had the effect that as soon as I open one from my inbox, it
causes the system to try to connect to the net, though there is nothing in
the message to indicate a reason for doing so.  My impression is that these
messages have all had type faces different from what normally appears on my
screen, but I'm not sure.  (I'll check from now on.)

Sadly, I don't know enough about computers and the net to know what is goin=
on.

I have just a single phone line and only connect my modem to it when I want
to use the connection.  As soon as my 'in' messages are down-loaded, I
disconnect again, so my computer can't be connected when the above happens,
and I don't feel inclined to connect to find out.

I have further problems, which I guess must be peculiar to my set-up, not
naturerecordists, or maybe to my ISP, Ozemail.  Often when my computer dial=
for a connection, I get a message that the remote side is not responding
correctly.  Sometimes a second attempt is successful, sometimes not. And
when finally connected and getting my in-messages a common event is that
after about a minute, everything stops.  No more data comes to my computer.
Then one of two things happens: either after another minute or two more dat=
starts coming, or the connection drops out and I get a message, "you have
been disconnected".

All this gets the phone company additional calls, and Ozemail more time to
bill me for - insignificant for both of them, I'm sure.  (Unless it's also
happening to many other email users as well?)

But the fewer Ks of data I have to down-load, the better are my chances of
doing so at first attempt.

Syd Curtis in Australia