Re: Files posted to group web site

Subject: Re: Files posted to group web site
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:06:39 -0500
Hey Group:

I would like to speak more with several of you that have experience managing
large libraries of sound effects, especially using Macs.

I'm on Mac and I'm rather furious that there isn't any easy way to embed
critical data into the soundfile itself (aiff or wave). Mac software such as
PEAK have not yet accepted BWAV, which has a robust metadata field. And no
Mac software to my knowledge reads the RIFF metadata that one can add using
PC editors such as CoolEdit.

So I'm still struggling about how best to really organize my huge
collection, including how to name the files (by date, by species, or what?),
and how to maintain a simple database of basic information about each
recording, preferably also embedded in a robust metadata field within each
recording.

Any ideas?

I have special sound effects management software called MTools that allows
for a relational database using FileMaker Pro. And there's also a
fabulous-looking piece of software for Mac called Soundminer
(www.soundminer.com), which utilizes it's own wrapper and embeds metadata of
all sorts. Of course, Soundminer files could not be edited in PEAK or other
Mac sound editors without losing all the embedded metadata, and this
presents a problem. It would be great to have a robust metadata field that
survives editing, so that the source of an edited and shortened recording
could always be simply ascertained.

Do any of you have experience with these kinds of questions? Is there a
solution for the Mac platform? If so, I would like to correspond
individually.

Lang