Re: non-professional setup

Subject: Re: non-professional setup
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:20:13 -0500

> I am going to India on a 3 WEEK VENT tour. I would like to do some minor
> recording, but don't want to haul all my regular stuff around. I have an AIWA
> AM-570 minidisc that I have used for playback and thought of bringing this
> along
> as a recorder. However, I don't want to bring a big microphone like the ME66.
> just want something small to record a few neat sounds. Can anyone give me an
> idea of a small microphone that I might bring. The recordings would only be
> for my personal enjoyment. I assume I would also need some "booster" preamp
> thing to give more gain?

In addition to the suggestions made, how about one of the stealth
recordist's stereo mic setups?

The one that comes to mind is the Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 or
thereabouts. It's based on the Audio Technica AT853 mics. About the same
sensitivity and self noise as the other suggestions at 7mV/PA and 28dBA.
And it's small, can be had to power off minidisc's plug in power, a
battery box, or phantom power, or all three. But the real sleeper here
is that the capsules are interchangeable, there are omni, subcardioid,
cardioid and hypercardioid capsules that just screw on. A whole kit of
mics that would fit in a single mic pouch. Though each capsule pair will
run you $80.

The Sound Professionals SP-CMC-6 slimline version also has
interchangable capsules, even a mini shotgun, but is 30dBA self noise
with 10mV/PA and a higher price. It's also a Audio Technica mic. It
looks like the capsules of the two series are electrically
interchangeable, so that shotgun might be adaptable to the SP-CMC-4
series with some machining of a adapter.

Now if I can just find a figure 8 mic capsule that fits...

I get tempted by these periodically. They won't record at great
distances, but for close stuff they are liked by lots of folks. And not
just the ones recording loud concerts. Would be fun to play around with.

A link:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/

A booster preamp is probably not needed. You'd just boost that self
noise. The stealth folks get into battery boxes and so on mostly to
boost the top sound level they can record.