Re: non-professional setup

Subject: Re: non-professional setup
From: grantfinlay <>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:37:13 +1300
The ecm55B is also known as a news presenters mic, i used to use them a
lot as they
sound great on a newscaster, esp. male voice.
the downside is they don't have much reach, ie: they are made to pick
up just the voice that is in front of them, for a great sense of space
try a sennheiser mke-2. They have a great reach (ie: pick up a lot of
background) and sound very natural. Have used them in this
situation(atmos fx recording) and was very happy with the response.
You can get the mke-2 attached to a k6 powering module from sennheiser,
can't remember the model# but one of them will work on a AA battery as
well. Have heard some of Bernies recordings and they do sound good,
just offering an alternative, let your ears be the judge!

Grant Finlay

On Saturday, February 21, 2004, at 01:42  PM, Wild Sanctuary wrote:

> The ECM 55Bs are self-powered by inserting a single AA battery in
> each barrel. I never use a pre-amp.
>
> Bernie
>
> >On Bernie's advice I purchased a pair of these mics and I think they
> >sound great.=A0 I have used them with my Sound Devices preamp.=A0 They
> need
> >the external power and I assume part of the reason they sound good is
> >the preamp, I don't know how they would do without it, perhaps Bernie
> >can't help on that question.
> >BTW, I don't know that I would call this system non-professional, they
> >sound good enough for potential professional use as well.
> >Kevin Colver
Grant Finlay
Hm:++64 9 5256465
Mb: ++64 274 943997
Based in Auckland, New Zealand.
http://www.ultrasound.orcon.net.nz
Location Sound Recording for Film,TV & Music.