Re: Clicks when transferring from Portadisc to PC through USB

Subject: Re: Clicks when transferring from Portadisc to PC through USB
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:22:46 -0800
Dominique, you wrote,

>I recently noticed the addition of clicks in recordings transferred from
>Portadisc to PC through the USB port. The clicks are clearly audible,
>they appear in the sonogram as vertical bands, and they seem to
>correspond to a few milliseconds of data loss. They appear randomly but,
>sometimes, up to 10 of them within 10 of 15 seconds. Transferring the
>same track several times, I eventually could transfer most tracks
>without clicks. But that is not really practical !

First, I'd listen to one of the troublesome tracks with headphones on
the machine that recorded it. If there are no clicks evident then,
it's a transfer problem.

Clicks in transfer are commonly the symptom of the computer's sample
rate not being synchronized to the digital signal source. I don't
know how it is in your software, but in my Pro Tools, there's a place
where you select internal or external synch. It needs to be on
external when making a digital transfer.

Be sure to change it back to internal when the transfers are done! If
not the workstation software may play back at an odd speed.

-Dan Dugan