Re: Clicks when transferring from Portadisc to PC through USB

Subject: Re: Clicks when transferring from Portadisc to PC through USB
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:41:55 +0100 (MET)
Hi Dominique,

I have experienced such clicks too. There seem to exist a few USB host
controller chips (located on the motherboard of the computer) that don't work
reliably under certain circumstances. For instance, when I record directly onto
my SONY Vaio mini-laptop CV1E via an external USB audio interface, I get
random clicks as long as I have selected a reduced processor clock speed (300
MHz
instead of 600 MHz). Interestingly, the clicks also disappear when I use an
extra PCMCIA-based USB host controller card instead of the integrated USB
ports.

So, before you buy another computer, you might try to install an additional
USB host controller card (there are both PCI-bus and PCMCIA models). The
PCMCIA card I used successfully is the model 'ADVANCE PERIPHERALS USB 2.0
CardBus'. It employs a 'NEC USB Open Host Controller'.

As you already mentioned, it could also be important to reduce the overall
processor load as much as possible. Several USB audio interface manufacturers
recommend to activate the DMA mode option for the harddisk.

Regards,
Raimund