Re: Good Enough

Subject: Re: Good Enough
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:04:09 +0100
Well spoken! Besides from that, there are other aspects:

Can you actually hear the difference between DAT and MD?
Or just see it?

Suppose 75% of the potential wildlife recordists abandon the idea to record=
,
because they cannot affort "the best" equipment - is that wanted?

In my experience, the biggest problem is too few recordists, not having a
good working standard, placing the wrong microphones at the wrong places et=
- filtering their recordings in a wrong way and so on.

Let me assure you, judging from the questions I get - 90% of all wildlife
recordists know only the very very basic and less than that.

In my thinking, the task must be to simplify wildlife recording as much as
ever possible.
Many of the "myths" or "truths" from the real experts, inhibit this process=
.

"Good enough" is in my mind a very good argument, which does not at all
contradict with the arguments that SOME people also have to deal with the
margins in order to find perfection.
But VERY few people handles BOTH "the best equipment" and "an active
recording work". Mosty, it is either / or.
Mostly, the ones having a simple equipment make lots of recordings, while
most "high-tech" persons stay in their labs, looking at visible analysis an=
worrying.

Klas.

 At 09:42 2004-01-25 -0000, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>While I do not disagree with Walt re "good enough".  I have to point out
that there is a great need for somebody out there to maintain the best
standards that it is possible to obtain.

>If this means investing in equipment, so be it, as long as it is done
wisely and the person doing the investment has the skill to use it.

>Accepting a lower than possible standard is an individual thing.  If you
are happy with the lower standard, well ok, but in this world where there
seems to be a continual "dumming down " of quality for ease of use, it is
good to know that there is someone out there striving to get the very best
quality recordings.

>As for proving that quality over the internet, well forget it !!  unless
that is you have the system that can download a decent length 24/96 BWAV
file quickly.