Re: Good Enough

Subject: Re: Good Enough
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:15:07 +0100
"Good enough" has to do with the purpose:

Some birders here want nothing else than document that they were near the
bird. Hence, they use a small analog cassette recorder with a built in
microphone.

Other times the bird is so far away, among other singing birds, that they
need a parabol. It happens that they put the cassette machine in "focus" of
an umbrella.... It works, "good enough".

What I think is "State of the Art" quality, is when you sit back and listen
to a stereo recording, with loudspeakers, and you feel curious, impressed
and excited, still relaxed. The recording is interesting, the stereo pictur=
is "live" and the ambience "spacy". When you listen to it, you feel no need
whatsoever to regulate base or treble or volume or anything else. You sit
back, fully pleased with what you hear.

As the recordist of such a recording, you can also tell how it was done and
you are full of memories, which still thrill you. Sometimes you recall the
temperature, the flowers and the odors of them, and you recall what a nice
coffee break you just had.
You are "back on the spot" and the sounds trigger feelings and memories
which you didn't know was still there.

Now: There is no need whatsoever to analyse such a recording on your PC to
find atrac or other possible digital errors with it - WHICH CAN BE SEEN, bu=
not noticed when you listen to it.

THAT is what the scientist need to do, to make sure he is recording what he
presumes he is recording. THAT is also what the technician / designer needs
to do, to develop improvements.

That is also what you need to do when you hear that something is wrong,
distorted, whatever - and you don't know what it is.

To be provocative: All people spending their lives reading and writing abou=
digital errors - have they ever looked at the errors of their loudspeakers?=
?
Microphones?? Reflections in their listening room? Their hearing curve? No?=

I don't want to sound arrogant, but I am SO tired of debates, based on
judging sound quality from the picture of a PC software, in the same time a=
people use 50 dollar computer loudspeakers. (For example)

Klas.