Re: Good Enough

Subject: Re: Good Enough
From: Bret <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:43:40 -0800 (PST)
--- Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> "good enough" is all about appropriate for the purpose, without
> wasting
> resources if that's part of the criteria. And it usually is, the
> supply
> of money is never infinite.

This 'good enough' discussion has gone on much further than I would
have expected.  In arts and engineering, perfection cannot be achieved,
money and time are constraints that create a situation of diminishing
returns for the investment of either or both in an asymtotic way.  You
can approach perfection (per your definition), yet not reach it.

Personally, I equate Walt's phrase 'good enough' with mine 'meets the
requirements' and agree completely with this approach to challenges
such as attempting to capture recordings that reflect our direct
experiences of soundscapes.

As far as I can tell, Walt's delivery of 'good enough' equates to
'exceeds requirements' for the vast majority of the human population.
bret