Re: Portadrive / Surround Sound

Subject: Re: Portadrive / Surround Sound
From: "thorley_tom" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:47:05 -0000
Hi Rob,

>How did those omni 4006 dpa's work out in the field?

I absolutely love them very open neutral sound. I spent one month recording=
=3D=0D

with them in Uganda at the begining of the year and got some fantastic stuf=
=3D=0D
f. (I
know you are involved in film so as a brief note they (as with all omni's) =
=3D=0D
are of
course not suitable to use for wild tracks in film due to unpredictable pha=
=3D=0D
se
cancellation.

>Have you come across any 5.1 or 7.1 demo files made with the ambi
system?

Soundfield have demo files they provided for their review in audio media I =
=3D=0D

guess you can contact them directly and ask nicely? I have heard some
American football 5.1 samples, about as far away from nature recording as
you can get I know but the surround field was very stable and convincing.

Hi Walter,

>I'm curious about getting surround sound from a single mic? I'm kind of
assuming you are talking some surround sound mic? What mic are we
talking about?

Soundfield ST250 system http://www.soundfield.com/  comprises microphone
and all preamplification etc. the derived signal known as B format can be
recorded to 4 tracks and using various Phase techniques extrapolated into
7.1 in post or in the field with a laptop.

>And have you tried it in the field? How does it handle humidity?

It is designed for the field (indeed you can buy a rycote to fit it) I have=
=3D=0D
 no direct
personal experience of how it handles humidity but have been told that it
does well in humid conditions.

>What's it's self noise like, both levels and quality?

It's frequency response is ruler flat till16kHz. Self noise is "not as good=
=3D=0D
 as
sennheiser or schoeps and comparable with a neuman".

>If it's multiple mics, what mics? What pattern do you use to set them up?

It is not multiple mics so no setup. It uses 4 capsules. You can decide (in=
=3D=0D
 post
if you want) whether your mic array is fig.8 / cardiod / hyper-cardiod.

How the system works is pretty complicated their website explains the theor=
=3D=0D
very well http://www.soundfield.com/

As a brief aside the HHB portadrive is actually =A36995 ex VAT

Gianni I was very busy when I got your last email and have only just come
across it again, many many apologies I will be in touch soon.

Tom