Portadrive / Surround Sound

Subject: Portadrive / Surround Sound
From: "thorley_tom" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:57:52 -0000
"Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:51:30 -0000
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Subject: Re: Hi-MD recorders

>I don't think so. It (HHB portadrive) was due out more than 1 year ago.
Another product still stuck in the vapor I guess.

The Portadrive has just shipped I have had a used a demo unit 8ch 24/96
comprhensive monitoring/mixing etc. It is excellent however I am waiting to=
=3D=0D

test Zaxcoms offering before making a decision.

>It would be overpriced now anyway if they released it at the last
suggested price of a year and a half ago.

At =A38500 approx it can only be justified if being used in professional
applications as well as for hobby purposes.

Interestingly multitrack location recorders afford the possibility of  reco=
=3D=0D
rding B
format in the field with the Soundfield ST250. Zaxcom have just anounced an=
=3D=0D

Ambisonic monitoring plug-in for headphone monitoring of surround
recordings (will HHB follow suit? Paul...?). To make matters even more
delightful Soundfield have just announced a plug-in for nuendo that does al=
=3D=0D
the B format proccessing (deriving anything from mono-7.1 discrete channels=
=3D=0D

amoungst lots of other cool stuff) that  you needed large hardware boxes fo=
=3D=0D
r.
So with a laptop a multitrack recorder and a single microphone it is now
possible to monitor, record and edit surround sound recordings in the field=
=3D=0D
 (of
course you can just take the microphone and recorder, record B format and
post produce at home).

Surround Sound is finally mobile!!!