Re: new readers

Subject: Re: new readers
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:01:23 -0600

walt wrote:

><snip>
>I am commenting on what the list discusses, what it get's excited about,
>and what it does not discuss or shows little interest in. Not so much a
>head count as a activity count. The easy way to see the difference is to
>considerable difference. I do believe that the proportion of the
>membership that's new to nature recording is a whole lot higher than
>those early days. But, I also believe that a large proportion of those
>came into the group from inside recording and carry a lot of those
>habits with them. Nature recording is a different thing, and a lot of
>those habits and ideas may not be appropriate. Or, at minimum are a
>different type of nature recording.
>
>We talk about machines doing perceptual encoding. So do recordists, in
>how they record, their expectations of recordings, they do perceptual
>encoding modifications that are easy to hear and demonstrate. Using the
>indoor recording methods and standards is perceptual encoding. It is
>well to be aware of this and make decisions as to what encoding you do,
>you will do some form.
>
>Walt

Of course we want readers from unprecedented backgrounds to feel
welcome, They are clearly finding skills on this list they're not
finding elsewhere.  Is there a list of sound recordists with more
collective hours in the field? I use Bernie's book as my intro to
film/video soundtrack text precisely because the assumptions are the
most applicable. I learned this from this list. Wider audience is
flattering and can accelerates everyones' learning. Maybe the lack of
an FAQ is making this role more burdensome. Some terrific string
summaries could be edited together. If we came up with 4-6 FAQ topics
and 4-6 people each took one topic to search and possibly summarize?
Anyone can search a term in the archive, but a reader who knows the
lists history and personalities could portray some very
informative/provoking stuff.  Rob D.