Re: new readers

Subject: Re: new readers
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:25:58 -0000
For a description of the recording:
This recording was made while recording ice on a frozen lake in
St.Paul MN 400 feet from shore.
Our local Civil Defense system is tested each month.
All communities in the Midwest (and I assume the entire US) have a
Civil Defense system.
These are large sirens located in a grid so that more than one can be
heard from any location.
The closest siren in this recording was about 1 mile away. The copter
was luck.
This system allows the public not to bother learning what a Wall
Cloud is and it also assures our mutual self destruction will occur
on the first Wednesday of the month at 1:00PM.

Rich

--- In  "M, J, & V Phinney"
<> wrote:
> Yikes! where was that recorded Rich? Air raid sirens, choppers....an
> occasional popping sound that I wasn't sure of....gunfire? handling
noise?
> other?
>
> Don't get much (any) of that around here, happily.
>

> Mark Phinney
>

> on 1/11/04 8:29 PM, Rich Peet at  wrote:
>

> So for an in context response I submit a recording taken the second
> week of January 2004. A 340kb download.
> http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/1-7-04.mp3
>
> I guess I welcome all and understand that there never will be
> millions of natural sound recordists.  Locally, I see the biggest
> response to my recording being a question "what for?".
Photographers