Re: Digest Number 1188

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1188
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:22:54 -0500
From: Marty Michener <>

> Sorry to differ:
>
> There ARE often 3/8 camera mounts on larger cameras, as for Hasselblad, but
> FOR MOST are 1/4 inc 20 threads to the inch, the National Coarse thread
> rate.  So you would likely do better going from 1/4 20 up to the 5/8 mic
> diameter.  I also don't know where to get one . .
>
> my best regards,
>
> Marty Michener
> Hollis, NH    http://www.EnjoyBirds.com

And before anyone whips out their handy tap and die set to make one, the
5/8" is not a normal standard thread. It's 5/8 X 27 threads per inch,
which is a very tough tap and die to get. Special order item, took me
nearly a year waiting for mine, though I think the supplier has them in
stock now. Here's where I got them:
http://www.blackaudio.com/beyond.htm#taps&dies

Really nice to be able to make custom parts. I usually use aluminum for
the threaded parts I make. easy on the taps and dies.

To make it worse, most standard threading feed settings on lathes don't
include 27 tpi.

I know that Crown's mount adapter for the SASS has the threads. It has
3/8" in one end and 1/4" in the other, with the correct 5/8" on the
outside. Part number is D7092-6. Called a Adapter (Swivel Clamp to Hand
Grip), retail $16.60 or dealer $8.30 last I heard. It's machined brass.

For those lovers of exotica, there is also a 7/8 X 27 thread used in
some mic stands. Much rarer, I've never seen that.