Re: Sharp minidisc MD DR7

Subject: Re: Sharp minidisc MD DR7
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:59:45 -0000
Let me guess, you shorted pins 2 and 3 because of the effect of being
down under and things work different there like the water going down
the drain the opposite direction?

Seriously. Your cable worked just because it is a k6 series mic. You
are recording "- to ground" rather than "+ to ground". Not all mics
will be so forgiving and therefore the standard of wiring "+ to
ground" for an unbalanced configuration.  Just so that you don't have
to worry in trying out other mics I would recommend that you correct
it back to the standard.

As far as the transformer, glad it worked. You should see a higher
output when you match the impediance better but it probably wont
translate to any more signal to noise when it comes down to the edit
of actual sounds with this particular mic.

Rich Peet

--- In  Vicki Powys <>
wrote:
> Dan, Rich, Kevin and all,
>
> I've just made a test using two types of adapting leads, to take a
3-pin
> professional mic to a 3.5 mm stereo socket.  For the test I'm using
a Sony
> Walkman WMD6C cassette recorder and a Sennheiser ME67 mic.  The
first lead
> has a mini-plug one end and a 3-pin socket at the other.  It is not
wired
> exactly as described by Rich and Dan, but it does work
satisfactorily.