Re: Sharp minidisc MD DR7

Subject: Re: Sharp minidisc MD DR7
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:32:12 +1100
Dan, Rich, Kevin and all,

I've just made a test using two types of adapting leads, to take a 3-pin
professional mic to a 3.5 mm stereo socket.  For the test I'm using a Sony
Walkman WMD6C cassette recorder and a Sennheiser ME67 mic.  The first lead
has a mini-plug one end and a 3-pin socket at the other.  It is not wired
exactly as described by Rich and Dan, but it does work satisfactorily.

The second lead uses a Tandy adapter/transformer, part no. 274-0016, cost
around $25 in Australia.  On the adapter is written: Lo-Z Balanced to H-Z
Unbalanced.  It isn't a pre-amp, just a transformer.  Using this set-up, I
get 5-10 dB more gain, i.e. a stronger signal, than I do with lead 1.

A few years I borrowed a FEL pre-amp (made in UK) which gave 20 dB better
gain (using lead 1 set-up) but at much greater expense.  I reckoned that th=
Tandy adapter was quite good enough to be used for a back-up system, and wa=
certainly worth the $25 for the boost in signal.

>From my test with the WMD6C, I concluded that it is better to use a
transformer of some sort, to connect to the pro mic.  But maybe the
situation is different for a consumer minidisk such as MD DR7?  Would the
minidisk have better input capacity than the WMD6C?  Making an
adapter/transformer redundant?

For the record, on my lead no. 1, I had shorted pins 2 & 3 which run to the
tip and the ring of the miniplug, while pin 1 runs to the sleeve.  It seems
to work fine, but this isn't the same as Rich and Dan suggested, so maybe
I've done the wiring wrong?  Would that affect the strength of signal, or
just be potentially more noisy?

Thanks for all your help,

Vicki Powys
Australia