Re: Viability of modest setup?

Subject: Re: Viability of modest setup?
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:20:02 -0800
Jean Coeurchamp wrote:

>It seems that most of the recordists in this group use pretty
>professional equipment.

Not really. A good mike with a decent recorder is all you need.

>I am merely an amateur with minimal
>funds, 'starting out' as it were. I record with a Sony MD (MZ-N707),
>and until recently made tentative experiments using a cheap, muddy
>Sony mic ill-suited to my purpose. However, I have just invested in
>the Core-Sound binaurals (haven't received them yet), which I have
>seen dismissed by ambience recorders, but even these are pushing my
>budget to the limit (c.$300 including postage).

I wouldn't diss them.

>Also, anything more sophisticated would be pretty pointless anyway,
>as I intend to edit my recordings on a laptop, and the only way
>to 'upload' them is via the analogue line-in.

This can be good if you pay attention to levels in the transfer.

>I do have the program
>WaveLab (a newer version) - can this be used to 'improve' raw
>recordings to any significant degree?

Sure, all you need is the ability to edit and do some filtering.

>Anyway, seeing as I haven't actually started operating yet, I was
>just wondering what the viability of obtaining anything interesting
>will be (in terms of sound quality). Since I'm in a highly urban
>area (London, England), I will probably be recording
>mainly 'urban/industrial ambience' unless I go on trips to more
>rural areas, or maybe attempting to capture interesting
>intersections of natural and mechanical sound. So I do not aim for
>anything highly specific or localised (e.g. individual bird calls),
>more just an omnidirectional sense of 'soaking up sound'. But given
>my comparatively primitive setup, are the results likely to be muddy
>and lacking spatial depth, or distorted by even light wind?

Wind is always a challenge. You might start by borrowing a pair of
fuzzy earmuffs to try over the binaural mikes.

>I know
>these judgements are relative, and my desired standards as an
>amateur are obviously lower than a professional's.

You can get professional results with amateur gear.

-Dan Dugan