Viability of modest setup?

Subject: Viability of modest setup?
From: "Jean Coeurchamp" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:21:41 -0000
Hello,

It seems that most of the recordists in this group use pretty
professional equipment. I am merely an amateur with minimal
funds, 'starting out' as it were. I record with a Sony MD (MZ-N707),
and until recently made tentative experiments using a cheap, muddy
Sony mic ill-suited to my purpose. However, I have just invested in
the Core-Sound binaurals (haven't received them yet), which I have
seen dismissed by ambience recorders, but even these are pushing my
budget to the limit (c.$300 including postage).

Also, anything more sophisticated would be pretty pointless anyway,
as I intend to edit my recordings on a laptop, and the only way
to 'upload' them is via the analogue line-in. I do have the program
WaveLab (a newer version) - can this be used to 'improve' raw
recordings to any significant degree?

Anyway, seeing as I haven't actually started operating yet, I was
just wondering what the viability of obtaining anything interesting
will be (in terms of sound quality). Since I'm in a highly urban
area (London, England), I will probably be recording
mainly 'urban/industrial ambience' unless I go on trips to more
rural areas, or maybe attempting to capture interesting
intersections of natural and mechanical sound. So I do not aim for
anything highly specific or localised (e.g. individual bird calls),
more just an omnidirectional sense of 'soaking up sound'. But given
my comparatively primitive setup, are the results likely to be muddy
and lacking spatial depth, or distorted by even light wind? I know
these judgements are relative, and my desired standards as an
amateur are obviously lower than a professional's.