Re: Viability of modest setup?

Subject: Re: Viability of modest setup?
From: Martin Tillman <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:48:27 +0000
Jean Coeurchamp wrote:

 > It seems that most of the recordists in this group use pretty
 > professional equipment. I am merely an amateur with minimal
 > funds,

The only problem with your kit is possibly the fact that the laptop
soundcard might not be that good.  Investigate external sound cards.
The software you have is perfectly capable.  You'll find the filtering
most useful (mainly to get rid of excessive bass rumbles).

Otherwise, using what you've got intelligently is far more important
than the kit itself.  No, you won't be able to isolate the sound of a
sparrow at 500 yards from the Piccadilly Circus traffic, but you have
perfect microphones for recording the traffic itself.

I have a Sharp MD and Audio-Technica AT822 stereo cardiod.  It's not the
last word in perfection (and I do know what perfection is - I've spent
30 years in the sound broadcast industry and daily use some of the best
mics, recorders and mixers available), but it is almost perfectly suited
to what I want to do with it.

I think the biggest problem you'll face is knowing whether or not you
have made a good recording.  There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of
'field recordings for the sake of field recording' available on the net.
       Perhaps all list members should be required to upload several
files with notes of kit used, and what they think is good or bad about
the recording...