Re: Multitrack Recorders

Subject: Re: Multitrack Recorders
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:31:04 -0000
Oh well the poor boy disagrees with the pros again. Sorry Dan.
Multi-track field recorders right now are not there.
Anyone who wishes to place sound in a display area should consider
multi-track.

In that high end stereo is dying to home theater we are stuck looking
for ways to dial in this market as well.  IMHO the drop in stereo cd
sales is more related to the equipment and market going to home
theater than in people swapping music for free.

The best multi-channel field recorders right now are laptop based
recording devices and I was made a believer by seeing and hearing the
rme in the field in 6 channel 24 bit.  In actual field multi-channel
recorders, the best right now appear to be more than one recorder
sync'd. Be it two or three.

But if you already own a mult-channel editor (ie Audition) there is
no problem at all in getting 5 mins of sound with two unlike consumer
MD recorders to sync and sound ok.  I can record 2 channels on a mz-
r90 and 2 channels on a mz-r55. Then in post I can easily match them
for a period over 5 mins.  I can rip out the <100 cycles and mix that
to its own channel and mix two of the channels together for the
center and there you have it. 5.1 channels.

But for me I am really only interested in 4 full channels right now.

Rich Peet

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:
> Kevin J. Colver wrote:
>
> >Dan and others,
> >What are the good multi-track portable recorders now available
that can
> >be recommended for nature recording?  Any that record direct to
hard
> >disk?
>
> This is a new product category, and I'm sure in a year the prices
> will come way down. Right now we have bleeding edge gear and
promises
> of more coming soon. All made for the film/TV industry, the only
> people with money interested in field multitrack.
>
> See "Up the Sharp End" in the April 2003 Resolution magazine, p.
52.
> They mention:
>
> Zaxcom Deva 3,4, and 5: 6,8 and 10 tracks respectively to hard
disk.
> $8400 to $13,000. What a stereo Nagra used to cost.
>
> Fostex PD6: 6 mic inputs, 6 tracks to 8cm DVD-RAM.
>
> Aaton Cantar: Out-Nagras Nagra. 5 mic inputs, beaucoup line and AES
> inputs, 8 tracks to hard drive, FireWire, BlueTooth, weatherproof,
> anything you might want, it has it.
>
> (promised) HHB Portadrive: 6 mic inputs, 8 tracks to hard disk and
DVD-RAM.