Re: Binaural setup

Subject: Re: Binaural setup
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:44:04 -0700
DAN DUGAN
>To be really binaural you need to record
>  > in a real or simualted ear canal with pinnas. But all the
>>  quasi-binaural systems (disk, sphere, eyeglass clips, mikes on
>>  headphones) provide most of the realism of binaural when heard on
>>  headphones, and better frequency response when reproduced on speakers.

WALT
>I'm not sure I understand the better frequency response. Certainly some
>of the quasi-binaural systems do better on speakers than true binaural,
>but I'm not sure that it's due to frequency response, which is a
>function mostly of the mic capsules used and so on. That would seem to
>be a issue somewhat independent of mic arrangement.
<snip>
>It's possible you mean better frequency response in the sense that the
>tiny mics used in the ear canals can be outperformed by larger mics in
>the quasi-binaural positions? That does make sense.

A mike in the ear canal will have strong colorations from pinna
reflections. Of course when reproduced in the ear canal these will be
"right," but on speakers those effects will be detrimental. The
quasi-binaural systems don't have those coloratons and work better on
speakers.

>  > I record with omnis on shoulder pads; kind of a stretched
>>  quasi-binaural system, not exactly "spaced omnis," since my neck is
>>  in between.
>
>I don't know where everybody get's such quiet bodies. Mine is always
>ambushing me with some gurgle or something at the wrong moment. And
>that's with mics that are not mounted on me. I'd think it would get
>tougher with mics mounted on you.

You bet, that's my major problem, stomach gurgles.

-Dan Dugan