Re: Have Website will Publish...

Subject: Re: Have Website will Publish...
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:46:12 +1100
Greg and All,

Great website Greg!  The photos took a while to download (due to my slow
rural connection no doubt), but brought back many happy memories of visiting
the Centre.  Even the Alice Springs traffic noise was evocative, but
undoubtedly the recording of White-plumed Honeyeaters was improved with the
bass cut.

As for two-eared stereo, I found this article very helpful in understanding
basic stereo concepts:

http://www.tape.com/Bartlett_Articles/stereo_microphone_techniques.html

Also, our Walt did a web-page demo of all his stereo mics a little while
back, I found that very enlightening.  He demonstrated SASS, directional
pairs, the lot, all set up at one of his frog ponds so that the subject
matter was identical, just the mics were different so's you could compare
the different set-ups.  Maybe Walt still has those sounds on his web site
and will remind us all where to look for that.

Rich Peet has also made some great stereo mic adaptations, ones I liked were
the Blockhead and the Football Head.  He has them illustrated somewhere.
Remind us where, Rich!

For travelling, the Australian-made Rode NT4 one-point stereo mic has had
good reviews and the sound quality is excellent, in my opinion.  I don't
know how it goes in humidity though, after Tony Baylis found the NT5s failed
the humidity test for field work.  Syd Curtis has used the NT4 in
rainforest, no problems with his mic as yet.

I'll look forward to hearing some Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters soon Greg!

Vicki Powys
Capertee Valley NSW
Australia