Re: core sound product descriptions

Subject: Re: core sound product descriptions
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:47:37 -0000
Dan Dugan wrote:

> When I went [to the Core-Sound website],
> I found a complete mess of updates on updates,
> no coherent product information.

The web pages do suffer from a stream of
consciousness style, which underscores the
pre-production nature of the enterprise to
date.  Try looking here:

http://www.core-sound.com/Mic2496.html
Price for this preamp and analog to digital
converter is $499.  This page has lots of
specs and measurements.

http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html#PDAUDIO
This device is a Compact Flash interface
with optical and coaxial inputs.  Cost is $199.

While the PD-Audio interface will work with
many lower powered PDAs, I think you need the
speed of the latest models to keep up with
a 24/96 data stream.  The current HP iPAQ 5150
is recommended (about $525).

Since PDAs have very limited memory, Core Sound
recommends adding a PDA dual slot pc card
expansion pack so you can record to a 5GB
hard disc or a Compactflash memory card.
HP's expansion pack costs $200 and includes
extra batteries. A Toshiba 5GB PC Card
hard disc costs about $175

You'll also need an XLR to 3.5mm cable to
attach your microphone to the preamp. $35.

Last, you'll need software on the PDA to
manage the stream of digitized sound.
The Core Sound web page lists four vendors
who are developing software for the
PD-Audio interface.  Price is $50 or less.

So the total cost for a well-equipped PDA
24/96 field recorder is:

Mic2496.............$499
Mic cable........... $35
PD-Audio interface. $199