Re: New (to me) White-crowned Sparrow dialect

Subject: Re: New (to me) White-crowned Sparrow dialect
From: "Greg Winterflood" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:19:37 -0000
--- In  "Rich Peet" <>
wrote:

Rich

Yep, got there. Tried multiple combinations.

When the System makes enquiries of the HardDisk (HD) the noise gets
worse.  Audition 1.0 suggests recording some 'silence' and then
using Noise Reduction to remove sound-card internal-noise.  However
the noise I hear is so loud that I doubt that that kind of fix is
going to work.

I need to play some more; but the idea of taking the Laptop into the
backyard and recording directly to the HD is appealing.  Except that
I am going to have to find out whether I have a 'top of the shelf'
soundcard in this machine   ;)

Like (as the adolescents say), what advantage is there in recording
to an MD (or DAT or cassette) and then transcribing to a PC, instead
of recording directly to the HD of the PC at CD sampling rate?

My Laptop weighs about the same as the Marantz PMD222.  I admit it
is a bit more difficult to manage in the backyard; and I wouldn't
like to trip and let it land in the garden, but shouldn't it, in
record mode, outperform an MD (or tape recorder) given that there is
direct input from the transducer - via the soundcard and audio/wave
software - to storage??

Ever ready to think about spending more money - Greg
Still in Alice Springs, NT, Oztralia