Re: New Kid on the Block. compact cassette

Subject: Re: New Kid on the Block. compact cassette
From: "Adam Liberman" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:57:52 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> Were it me, I'd use the Dolby if it's done right. Just make sure
and
> transcribe off the tape with the same machine used for record,
with
> Dolby on for both record and play.

Just one clarification. While recording and playing back on the same
machine will completely cancel out misadjustment of the azimuth, it
won't do the same for Dolby. Dolby processing is level dependent,
and requires that two separate adjustments, record level and
playback level, are calibrated correctly. If they are misadjusted in
opposite directions, your record and playback levels will appear to
match but the Dolby circuit will badly mistrack. If you play and
record on different machines, and they have both been properly
calibrated, then Dolby tracking should not be a problem, but now
azimuth matching will be a bigger factor. The best solution is to
fully calibrate any cassette machines that you are using, and to
have them rechecked periodically. Both Dan Dugan and I can do this,
but where ever you have it done, make sure that they do it
to "recording studio standards" and not the manufacturer's standards
(which are typically much too loose for the kind of recording you
are doing).

- Adam Liberman
Liberman Sound