Re: Re: New Kid on the Block. compact cassette

Subject: Re: Re: New Kid on the Block. compact cassette
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 23:56:54 -0400
Rich Peet wrote:

> We all fight the equipment battle on an ongoing basis. The stuff goes
> old faster than a hound.
> As one guy recording for himself it becomes harder.
> Equipment owned determines the methods possible.
> By December I need to have commited to my method and general
> locations for next spring.
> I hope to decide shortly my own path and hope that I can afford what
> I decide to attempt.

All too true. But, it's worth remembering that equipment we buy now we
bought because it works well, it's good equipment. It won't work worse
just because there is something new. Keep that thought in mind.

Every time I get too stirred up about the new goodies I can play this
one excellent frog CD. Recorded originally for LP with a spring wound
tape recorder and dynamic microphones, as I understand it. Creativity
can overcome a lot of equipment limitations.

The frogs will start here in January. Don't get a lot of breathing space
to think about what I'll work on. Mostly I'm working on better
recordings and photographs, particularly of the harder to find species.
Each year's recording forays yield lots of questions to try to answer
the next year, or the next...  Always the endless question of what
species are where.

I'm of the school of buy good equipment, and don't replace until it
wears out. Works pretty well except for the computer end.

> I only keep my ham radio license now for the RC and microwave
> priveledges that come with it that can be used in remote sound
> recording.  Maybe this spring I will put that to use.

I've got a couple of the Sennheiser digital mic wireless systems. A lot
of those turn up on Ebay and sometimes go fairly low priced. Need to
find time to set those up and see how well I can eliminate long cables.
Probably a lot less range than what you are contemplating.

> Good luck in your choices and try to save those short glimpses of
> beauty where you find them.

They are what keep me alive.