Re: Field Headphones?

Subject: Re: Field Headphones?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:32:15 -0400
Martyn Stewart wrote:

> I too use the Sony MDR-V900 and find them a very comfortable headphone.
> It also depends on what you are recording, Walt would have a headlamp on
> his head while out recording frogs & toads, if you are recording birds,
> obviously you wouldn't need the headlamp but either way, a great set of
> headphones that will cost you about $130 to $150 if you shop around, MRP
> is about $259.99. You can get them at B&H at the moment for $139.95
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=ShowProduct
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=ShowProduct&Q=&O=&sku
> =150379> &Q=&O=&sku=150379

All the various headphones mentioned are in this rarefied price range.
As you get imbedded in nature recording the quality at this level is
well worth it. And you will definitely need something like this for
editing. I much prefer to edit with headphones that are going to give me
at least as good a listen as the people I'm making the stuff for will have.

For those that just can't come up with that, I recorded for a couple
years just using some fairly standard walkman headphones. It does work,
particularly if you keep the headphone volume fairly low. Do a lot of
listening without the headphones to pick up what's happening in the
background. You won't get the details well in such headphones, and they
leak sound a lot more than the big studio models.

When I left the walkman headphones I went to some Koss R-80's. They do
not give as good a sound as the high priced stuff, but also don't cost
as much. There are a number of good headphones similar in price and
performance. At this level you can use a little more volume when needed,
helping on hearing the details.

I'd not be totally so sure about headlamps and bird recording. Owls, for
instance. I don't have a problem with the headlamp and headphones both
on. I use a Petzel Duo, which has the headlamp on front (two lamps) and
the battery pac on back. I have it on under the headphones. Normally in
a evening I'll hardly ever take the headlamp off, even when driving
between sites. As I noted, swiping the headphones off your head with a
headlamp on is asking for trouble. However, I have no problem putting
headphones on and off with two hands, even when holding a parabolic like
the Telinga.

Ebay can be another source for the expensive headphones, just be sure
and check elsewhere too.