Re: Field Headphones?

Subject: Re: Field Headphones?
From: grantfinlay <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:51:26 +1200
Walt,
Very true what you say about gear, I brought the  neumann kmr81i
shotgun because it's got a flat(ish) off axis response. I was doing a
lot of reality type programmes where you don't have a clue who is going
to speak next and the mkh60 couldn't cut it. One of the bonus things
about the neumann is that I like the natural "sense of space" it has. I
know thats a very vague term but can't think of how else to say it.
When recording atmos fx outdoors I liked what I heard back in the edit
room. It doesn't have the high end sparkle that the mkh sennheisers
have, but a natural "flatness" to it.
  Abuse wise I can say that the mic can take a lot!  I've been in
85%humidity then -10 degrees c. in a matter of minutes with no crackle
or pop. stayed inside for a 8hr shoot then got out to the sun again and
shooting in 2 mins with no noise or pops. Rain has never been a problem
either, have had the mic dripping with water after a few downpours, not
recommended but it still sounds fine today.
I have to admit that I power my mixer with np1 batteries, and once its
on at the start of the day I don't turn it off till I get home later
(or need to change the battery)
The np1 will run my SQN and 2 ph48 mics for about 14 hours!. Most
problems that I have heard of with condensor mics have been traced back
to the fact that the mic has been "cold" then powered up and expected
to work straight away in harsh conditions. I always power up and give
the mic at least 10 mins before recording, esp. in cold or humid
weather. When I worked in a music studio we always left the  main
condensor mics on at all times, and gave the others at least 30 mins to
warm up.belive it or not I could hear the difference!
Just some tips for others out there...
Grant.

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 06:00  PM, Walter Knapp wrote:

> People come in asking about gear, I hope that they realize just how
> many
> options work fine. Each of us have gear we like, sometimes for the
> strangest reasons. I mostly went with sennheisers in mics as it seemed
> more sure bet with their long history in nature recording. I'd love to
> try some of the other good stuff, some of the neumanns look
> interesting,
> as do some other brands. But for a lot of them it's more of a risk to
> buy as they don't have a history in nature recording. That's one of the
> things this group is good for. Someone will take a risk, and we all
> benefit from what they find out. Few can afford one of each.
>
> Walt

Grant Finlay
Mb: ++64 21 943997
Based in Auckland, New Zealand.
http://www.ultrasound.orcon.net.nz
Location Sound Recording for Film,TV & Music.