Re: Re: West Nile & Crows

Subject: Re: Re: West Nile & Crows
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:07:15 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:

>>It's also being used here as a reason for draining wetlands.
>>
>>I've not seen any crows in trouble, and we have lots around. I have
>>noticed many less songbirds since the spraying started. And I'm 6 miles
>
>>from the nearest town that's spraying.
>
>>I'm sure the loss of songbirds will be pointed out as ones that died
>
>>from West Nile. If anyone notices at all, that is. No testing means you
>
>>do not know what killed the birds. In the few times testing has been
>>done around here, West Nile itself was exceedingly scarce.
>>
>>Walt
>>

> Then you probably don't have the virus in your area yet.  West nile
> was documented here in milwaukeelast summer and in many spots through
> Wisconsin. Its very obvious. many dead birds. song birds too. Rich is
> right about the owls. Wis DNR confirrmed many raptors were killed.
> Rob D.

It's here, just not lots of it. And seemingly not growing so far.

It's a race to see if the spraying can kill the birds first. I'd say the
spraying is winning by a pretty wide margin here. The spraying is
ineffective at it's intended use of keeping mosquitos down. They are as
thick as ever.

I'd really expect it to be a bigger problem in our warm climate. But,
then several other problems that swept through the midwest seem not to
have been able to hack it here so far. Much to the benefit of our frogs.

Whenever hysteria sets up over something I don't trust word of mouth. I
want to see actual tests. Hysteria is going quite well down here.
Testing gives a different picture of the size of the problem.