Re: West Nile & Crows

Subject: Re: West Nile & Crows
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:23:37 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Hi Martyn--
> We had behaviors like you describe in Milwaukee last summer. I saw a
> sick Jay literally fall off of a porch onto the walk.There were dead
> crows, even a few hermit thrushes, in the street. Through the fall
> and winter, there were noticeably fewer numbers of crows.  But this
> summer, the crow population seems strong again. It could be the
> numbers are up and down in different locations. Rob D.

Around here they have reinstituted running around in trucks randomly
spraying whole towns. This, when it was done with ddt, resulted in
massive bird kills. And Rachel Carlson's book "Silent Spring"

I don't think you have to look for west nile, look for the paranoid
folks spraying everything for it. Time for another book...