Re: Re: West Nile & Crows

Subject: Re: Re: West Nile & Crows
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:53:11 -0400
Rich Peet wrote:
> In my area, MN. West Nile is very area specific.  It hits
> neighborhoods one at a time.  From first symptoms seen to death in
> crows appears to be about 3 days.  They don't even seem to care about
> testing birds here any more as it is here to stay.  Lost about 50% of
> the crows last fall, to soon to tell about this year.  GH Owl kill
> appears to be much higher but I know of no stats and that is just my
> observations.
>
> We have an under reaction here rather than an over reaction.  The
> media reports about birds, people, and horses.  No mention that the
> large hog operations are also symptomatic.  But that would mean you
> would have to talk about the human food supply being infected.  So no
> one talks about it. Except a few of us on the edge.

It's also being used here as a reason for draining wetlands.

I've not seen any crows in trouble, and we have lots around. I have
noticed many less songbirds since the spraying started. And I'm 6 miles
from the nearest town that's spraying.

I'm sure the loss of songbirds will be pointed out as ones that died
from West Nile. If anyone notices at all, that is. No testing means you
do not know what killed the birds. In the few times testing has been
done around here, West Nile itself was exceedingly scarce.